Non-invasive Shock Wave Therapy
This is another non-invasive treatment that harnesses the healing effect of acoustic (shock) waves to heal tendons. We have huge experience of using this novel treatment in patients with tendinopathies that have failed to improve with other treatment method.
Not all Shock Wave treatments and machines are the same. We use mostly radial but some focussed shock wave therapy using the Swiss Dolorclast machine. This machine has a huge evidence base, unlike some other machines that are available.
Shock Wave Therapy (SWT) is performed in the clinic room and has no side effects, requires no special preparation, does not require time off work and is very well tolerated. Patients do not need pain-killers after treatment. It reliably relieves symptoms in 60-80% of cases, depending on the specific tendinopathy being treated.
Here are the advantages of SWT as a treatment:
- No hospital admission is required, it is performed as an outpatient (clinic) treatment
- No anaesthetic is needed
- It is a non-invasive procedure (no needles and no surgery required)
- No medications required
- Treatment sessions last for an average of only 20 minutes (not including the assessment)
- A temporary pain-relieving effect is felt after treatment followed by a longer-term natural healing of the condition
- No lengthy rehabilitation, loss of mobility or time away from work
- Safe procedure with much fewer complications than surgery or injections
- Excellent clinical results even in cases that have failed to respond to other treatments
It is very important that patients should not take any anti-inflammatory medication, such as Ibuprofen, Diclofenac or Naproxen for 10-14 days before the first treatment and throughout the course of treatment, as these can interfere with the healing process.
Each treatment takes approximately 20-30 minutes. The tender spot is marked, contact gel is applied and then the hand piece is applied. A total of 2500 pulses are delivered per treatment. The treatment can be a little uncomfortable but we have not had anyone stop treatment because of this.